TVA Named to Economic Development Top 10 for the Seventh Straight Year
Site Selection recognizes TVA’s work in fiscal year 2011 with local power companies and regional, state and community partners to help attract or retain more than 43,000 jobs and leverage $4.9 billion in capital investment for the TVA service territory.
“Power, partners and performance are the keys that work to unlock sustainable economic development success in our region,” said John Bradley, TVA senior vice president of Economic Development. “TVA’s mission is to provide reliable and low-cost power. Our customers, regional and state agencies, and economic, industrial and community leaders all play significant partnership and teamwork roles to prepare for economic growth opportunities. And TVA’s Economic Development staff is one of the highest-performing in the country; they continue to develop programs to improve the quality of life in the Valley, specifically through jobs and capital investment.”
The Site Selection rankings are based on a number of factors, including project activity, input from corporate end users and site consultants, website tools and data, and innovative programs and incentives for business.
TVA and its partners generate economic development success through a variety of initiatives, including:
- The highly successful Megasites Program, developed to independently certify large industrial properties, has sold five sites to major corporations and two certified sites remain available. Read more about the Megasites Program.
- The Valley Investment Initiative (VII), which offers financial incentives to end-use customers who contribute to the region’s economic growth in the region and also complement TVA’s power system resources
- A data center identification program that has designated more than 20 primary sites as ideal locations to house computers, telecommunications, and other systems used by high-tech industries
- An expanded Rural Development Strategy to provide technical and financial assistance training to assist rural, economically distressed counties
- The efforts of TVA Community Development to help communities prepare to compete for growth opportunities.
Site Selection magazine, published by Conway Data, Inc., delivers expansion planning information to 44,000 executives of fast-growing firms. Read the full Site Selection article.